1.What is an Integrated Management System?
An Integrated Management System (IMS) is the combination of correlated business components into one simpler management and operational system. It refers to the seamless integration of several different standards into a common system that meets the requirements of each of the standards. This allows an organization to work as a single unit with unified objectives.
The IMS includes the following:
1. QMS – Quality Management System
The QMS comprises certain policies, procedures and processes that are compulsory for the arrangement and execution of core business operations.
2. EMS – Environmental Management System
An EMS regulates the environmental position and performance of a company. It strives to continually improve thereon.
3. SMS – Safety Management System
This form of management system governs the position and performance of an organization’s Health and Safety. It repeatedly aspires to improve on that performance. It pursues an outline of management like any other facets of business, such as marketing.
2.Why implement it into your business?
Implementing IMS has various benefits that prove to be invaluable to all types of organisations. It benefits a business directly when implemented properly into an organizations’ strategy and direction as it permits members of top management to ensure for efficient work practices. Increased effectiveness and efficiency allows for cost reductions whilst reducing disruptive external audits.
The newly implemented IMS has been very valuable to our organisation. Some of its benefits include:
- Meeting ISO 9001 and OHSAS standards’ requirements with one set of policies and procedures.
- Increased efficiency and effectiveness of our various departments and processes.
- It has helped both management and employees to display their commitment to continuous improvement to our customers.
- Increased the time available to management to implement proactive measures, such as implementation of cutting edge data evaluation software.
- Improved internal and external communications
- Promotion of a safe and healthy working environment
3.Apex obtained its certification
Currently our IMS system include both ISO 9001:2015 and OHSAS 18001:2007 Integrated Management Systems. The above-mentioned systems help the company conduct its business activities in a way that all national and international regulations related to the quality of the products manufactured by Apex Cordset Technologies are fully met. They also ensure that national and international regulations related to the safe working environment of all our employees are also adhered to.
Apex Cordset Technologies Accreditation history:
1) SABS 0157 Quality Management System accreditation. — 1989
2) ISO9002: 1994 Quality Management System accreditation — 1999
3) ISO9001: 2000 Quality Management System accreditation. — 2006
4) ISO9001:2008 Quality Management System accreditation — 2011
5) SMETA Accredited – SEDEX MEMBERS ETHICAL TRADE AUDIT — 2018
6) ISO 9001:2015 — 2018
7) OHSAS 18001:2007 Integrated Management Systems — 2018
Looking forward, Apex Cordset Technologies would like to establish itself as a world class company that is able to provide our customers with excellent services and world class products. Therefore, the company intends to introduce the following standards into our IMS family of system:
1) ISO 28001:2015 – Supply Chain and Security Management System Accreditation
2) Convert from the OHSAS 18001:2007 to the new ISO 45001:2018 occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system
3) ISO 14001:2015 – Envorinmental Management System Accreditation.
Our most exciting programmes that we are currently engaging is the Lean Six Sigma methodologies. Lean Six Sigma is a methodology that relies on co-operative team effort to improve performance of the organisation by systematically reducing variability and removing waste. It combines Lean manufacturing principles and Six Sigma to eliminate eight kinds of waste:
- Non-Utilised Talent
The real value in Lean Six Sigma is not only in reducing process defects and waste, it is the basis for providing a foundation for overall organisational culture change. The Best In Class methodologies will complement our ISO systems to allow Apex to become a World Class Competitor.
4.Product Safety Approvals
On top of the above-mentioned accreditation, Apex Cordset Technologies has numerous national and international approvals for the products it manufactures.
Apex Cordset Technologies possesses the following certification:
- LOA –Letter of Authority issued by the South African government through its regulator (NRCS)
- Compliance mark certificate with various European and Australian approval bodies
- CB scheme test reports and certificates
- ENEC certificate — European mark for electrical equipment safety
Please see below the summary table of the company products approvals: